An Art Coast Holiday 2019
Twinkling lights, snowy sidewalks, warmly lit shops and cozy lodging amenities – there’s something magical about the holidays in Saugatuck/Douglas. The minute Halloween is over, the Art Coast Holiday Season begins with lodging deals, seasonal events and boutique holiday shopping. Offering a quintessential small-town holiday experience with big-city amenities, visitors will enjoy the festive energy without the crowds.
What to Do
Tis the season for holiday shopping! Beginning the day after Thanksgiving and stretching through to December 23, shops, boutiques and galleries are stocked with unique gifts for everyone on your list. Serious shoppers will want to visit during Thanksgiving weekend for Black Friday deals on November 29. November 30 is also a big shopping day in Saugatuck/Douglas with Small Business Saturday and the Holiday Market at Saugatuck Center for the Arts.
After scouring the shops for the perfect gift, hit the town and treat yourself. Dine at one of our unique eateries in downtown Saugatuck and Douglas, or catch live music and drinks at Salt of the Earth or Waypost Brewing Company in Fennville!
If you’re in town during December, make sure to attend one of the Felt Mansion’s holiday tours. During the week, enjoy a self-guided tour or visit on the weekends for a guided tour through the mansion to see the historic building decorated in its full glory with more than 25 decorated Christmas trees.
What to See
Here, the arts are woven into the fabric of our culture. With dozens of working artists who call our area home, you’ll find more than 20 artist studios and galleries in our region to scour for the perfect piece to bring home or gift. If you’re looking for something extra festive, plan your trip around these arts-focused holiday events, exhibitions, performances and more.
- Luminescence Exhibit – November 1 through December 20 – Saugatuck Center for the Arts, downtown Saugatuck
- An interactive, light-based show featuring works from Simon Alexander-Adams, Patrick Ethe, Cuppeteli & Mendoza; in tandem with an outdoor, building-spanning installation by Jeremy Barnett and Jason Maracani.
- “Then & Now: Snapshots from the Archives” Exhibition – November 2 through December 20, Saturdays & Sundays only – The Pump House, Douglas
- An exhibit from the Saugatuck/Douglas history center, showcasing stories of Saugatuck and Douglas through the history of photography.
- Holidart: Gallery Opening – November 23 – Water Street Gallery, downtown Douglas
- Play the coolest art game in town. Throw a dart – win some art! Nearly 100 works of art available.
- Glenn Circle of Lights Ceremony – November 29, downtown Glenn
- Free family pictures, treats from merchants, bake sale, community sing-a-long and a visit from Santa and Mrs. Claus.
- Saugatuck’s Annual Christmas Parade – December 7 – downtown Saugatuck
Saugatuck’s Annual Christmas Parade
- Bring your family for an entire day of holiday cheer! Visit Santa’s workshop at Coral Gables, watch the parade and end the day by watching the Annual Tree Lighting at the corner of Butler and Main street.
- Winterfest at the Felt Estate – December 7 – The Felt Mansion
- Enjoy this free annual Christmas family fun day featuring horse-drawn wagon rides, a free lunch, face-painting, and of course, a visit from Santa and Mrs. Claus!
- Christmas Bazaar – December 7 – Saugatuck United Methodist Church, Saugatuck
- Come for a day full of crafts, baked goods, cookies, candy and gifts.
- Carols and Cuvee: Celebrate the Season at J. Petter Galleries – December 14 – J. Petter Galleries, Douglas
- Come listen to the live music of the holiday Jazz Trio as they sing your favorite songs of the season.
- A Christmas Carol – December 13, 14, 15 & 20, 21, 22 – Saugatuck Woman’s Club, downtown Saugatuck
- A holiday classic brought to life each season by community performers.
What to Taste
Creative coastal fare, fresh farm-to-table dishes, casual homestyle cooking, or innovative small plates – you’ll find it all and more, here in Saugatuck/Douglas. Whether you’re stopping for a bite while hitting the shops or hosting a family gathering, the holidays are one of the best times of the year to enjoy the variety of delicious eateries our region has to offer. These seasonal culinary events make great gifts, romantic experiences or special holiday meals.
A coursed meal with the perfect glass of wine makes for a great pairing, especially when you’re enjoying both in the company of the wine maker. Dinners begin with a sparkling wine and cheese reception, followed by a coursed dinner paired with wine. Grab some friends and enjoy this unique experience at Fenn Valley Vineyards on November 9 at 6 p.m.
No need to slave over a hot stove for Thanksgiving – let the pros do the work this year at this Traditional Thanksgiving Feast, created by chef Shaun Glynn and his staff at the historic, beautiful Belvedere Inn. Dinners are November 27 & 28 at 3 p.m. & 6 p.m.
Join in on the celebration of the first wine of the new vintage! 2019 will mark the 29th Annual event to commemorate this special occasion. Admission is free and glasses of Nouveau will be offered at a discounted rate. While there, pick up some bottles for your holiday party, or just to enjoy back at your hotel. Nouveau Fest takes place on December 7 from 1 – 5 p.m.
Christmas eve and Christmas day dinner is a time for celebration and there’s no better place to celebrate than the beautiful, historic Belvedere Inn. Dinners are at 5:30 p.m. and 7:30 p.m. on Christmas Eve and 3 p.m. on Christmas Day.
Where to Stay
After a full day (or weekend) of shopping, exploring, tasting and experiencing Saugatuck/Douglas like a local, retreat to one of our many cozy lodging establishments. Whether you’re relaxing in a hot bath, curling up by the fireplace with a loved one or gathering around the table with friends for drinks and conversation, Saugatuck/Douglas has the perfect place for your ideal retreat. Click the button below for a full list of lodging options.