New Year, New Adventures: Plan Your 2019 Vacation Now!
Happy New Year! Now is the time to make resolutions, set goals and plan ahead, and part of that is carving out time in the new year for vacations and getaways. Whether you’re looking for a round of golf or a round of beers, hiking trails or setting sails, relaxing at the beach or diving into the surf, Saugatuck/Douglas is the Michigan getaway destination all year round. For your planning needs, here is a list of major festivals, events and best times to visit Saugatuck/Douglas in 2019.
- Valentine’s Day (February 14): The months of January and February are typically cold and snowy in Michigan – a perfect time for a cozy, romantic getaway with a loved one. Maybe you’re spending a few days bundled up, exploring the great outdoors on ski’s or snowshoes, or maybe your taking those days to stroll through Saugatuck and Douglas’s downtown shops and galleries. Either way, chances are, you’ll be spending your evenings wining and dining at amazing local restaurants and snuggled up with a loved one in front of a fire at one of our lodging establishments!
- Patrick’s Day (March 15-17): Come drink beer, wear green and be merry in Saugatuck/Douglas for St. Patrick’s Day! Lots of local pubs, restaurants and bars have specials going on the entire weekend.
- Mountainfilm Festival SAUGATUCK (March 22-23): The acclaimed MountainFilm Festival, is going on tour, and one of the stops is here in Saugatuck! For the weekend of March 22-23, come out for amazing outdoor and adventure-inspired films, events and fun!
- Mother’s Day Weekend (May 10-12): Come spend a weekend with mom in Saugatuck/Douglas. Shops, food, boutiques, outdoor adventures and more are all waiting for mom to enjoy! Also, enjoy the Artz & Gardenz Tour, an annual tour of local artists’ studios and gardens throughout the Saugatuck/Douglas, Holland and Hamilton areas.
- Memorial Day Weekend (May 24-27): What better place to kick-off the start of summer than here in Saugatuck/Douglas with a long weekend!? Bring the family, the significant other, the dog and your sunglasses, because this is the weekend to get excited for the upcoming warm weather.
- Saugatuck Expo (June 1 – 30): a month-long celebration of arts and culture that have made the Art Coast of Michigan a tourism destination for 150 years. Each weekend features a different facet of the art coast: Food, Fine Arts, Music and Performance. You won’t want to miss this month of fun in Saugatuck/Douglas.
- Independence Day Weekend (July 4 – 7): The 4th of July weekend is one of the most popular times of the year to visit Saugatuck/Douglas. Between the beaches, the shops/galleries, boats cruising in and out of the harbor and, of course, fireworks, this is the place to celebrate the 4th of July.
- Venetian Festival (July 26-27): This festival is a Saugatuck classic. Featuring boat races, live music, a lighted boat parade and fireworks, this is a family-friendly festival that’s fun for all.
- Labor Day Weekend (August 30-September 2): Labor Day Weekend is another popular time of the year to visit Saugatuck/Douglas. Whether it’s a last vacation away with the family before school starts or an early fall retreat, Labor Day is a great time to visit Saugatuck/Douglas.
- 42nd Annual Gallery Stroll Weekend (October 11-14): The Art Coast of Michigan’s annual Columbus Day Weekend art stroll.
- Halloween in Saugatuck/Douglas (October): The month of October is packed full of Halloween celebrations for kids, adults, and even pets, including a Kids and Pets parade through downtown Saugatuck and the legendary Adult Halloween Parade featuring the giant Pumpkin King!
- Harvest in Saugatuck (October/November): Geographically, Saugatuck/Douglas is one of the best areas in the state to grow a variety of different fruits and vegetables, which is one of the reasons we have such amazing food and beverage options. Whether you’re looking to go apple picking, pick out the perfect pumpkin, taste some cider, beer or wine or enjoy a color tour, it’s all waiting for you in Saugatuck/Douglas.
- An Art Coast Holiday (December): Much like Halloween, An Art Coast Holiday is more than a weekend, but rather, an entire month’s worth of festive events. Our Whoville-themed Christmas Parade on the first weekend of December is a favorite for locals and travelers alike. Twinkling lights, warmly lit shops and holiday events like parades, tree lightings and gallery strolls make our communities shine with festive spirit.
It’s always a great time to visit Saugatuck/Douglas. For more information or questions regarding lodging, give our welcome center a call at 269-857-1701 or email email@example.com.